Quick Basketball and Football Updates after the jump
Football News and Notes
- Former Tennessee commitment AJ Johnson does still have interest in Tennessee but after the coaching change wanted to open up his commitment and does have interest else where. Tennessee does have Lance Thompson on their side and he and Johnson do have a good relationship.
- Peter Sirmon has officially joined the staff as Defensive Graduate Assistant and will be in helping Joseph out with the Safeties. Chino Fontenette, Dooley’s RB coach at Louisiana Tech, has also been added at Offensive Graduate Assistant in order to give Chaney help coaching the Running Backs and allowing him to be more of a roaming coach who helps out the whole offense as a whole. Look for Sirmon to be very involved with recruiting as well. He can’t be on the road or meet with recruits off campus but he can be involved with them on campus and can call them and text them.
- DT Marlon Walls and OL JerQuari Schoefield were cited by Brent Hubbs at Volquest.com as looking very much improved over the off season so far with their upper body strength and overall physically.
- Tauren Poole has the biggest opporunity of his career and has a big opportunity over the upcoming sophomores on the team as they will be going through their first coaching change and he his 3rd. It will be interesting to see how Brown, Oku, and Williams all handle the change and if Poole gets the starting spot.
- Austin Johnson is moving back to Linebacker where he was originally recruited for. Moved to FB after David Holbert had a career ending injury, Johnson had 68 yds and a TD last year but put up amazing numbers at linebacker in high school. Channing Fugate is an incoming Freshman who will be behind Kevin Cooper in the Fullback postition.
- Jabriel Washington, arguably the top recruit for the state of TN this year, will not be in this weekend. He has a basketball game. He visited Bama this last weekend and calls them his leader by a lot. LSU is in 2nd and UT in 3rd with UGA in 4th. LSU visit next month as well as Tennessee. Wants to decide before summer.
Baseball News and Notes
- The Vols are up at Oregon State today, tomorrow, and Sunday taking on the 10th ranked Oregon State Beavers.
- Over the last decade Baseball America ranked OSU as the # 2 program in the nation after they won National Titles in 2006 and 2007
- Raleigh says Pitching is definitely their strength as they return 10 pitchers from last year
- Cody Hawn is still day to day with his injury as he practiced Tuesday but sat Wednesday with soreness.
Basketball News and Notes
- All three UT commitments for the next 2 years from the Atlanta Celtics (AAU team) will be here Saturday for the game.
- Four Star Nigerian Basketball Star Moses Abraham is also coming in to check out the Vols on an unofficial. He is very interested to see the Vol fans in action and wants to see the atmosphere. His American Handlers say the Vols are in a dead heat with Georgetown for his service even though Georgetown was assumed to have a huge lead over anyone. The more time the decision is delayed by the more programs like Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, Seton Hall, and Rutgers are likely to get involved. Would be a huge pick up who could play the 5 for Tennessee.
- Pearl admits that he may have messed up by playing the 3-2 Zone in Lexington and not here but he wants to give his kids a chance to win every time so they will see how it works. He also said to expect new rinkles.