- 16-6 Win over Xavier with a crowd of 2300 on hand in New Renovated Lindsey Nelson Stadium
- 6 players with at least 2 hits led by newcomer Khayyan Norfolk who had 4
- Junior Cody Hawn was a perfect 2-for-2 with a pair of RBIs on a monstrous opposite-field home run before leaving the game in the fifth with an apparent left shoulder injury.
- Hawn hurt his non throwing shoulder and had to leave the game to get a MRI done. John Brice at Volquest is reporting its likely a Bone Bruise and he will be out 7-10 days
- Vols scored in 7/8 innings
- Brian Margado (starting Pitcher) had 4 hitless innings, 6 strike outs, 4 hits, 2 walks through the 5 innings he played
- The vols top 25 recruiting class freshman were very impressive
- The Vols play at 2 Today and 2 Tomorrow before traveling to Oregon State next weekend
This years baseball team is suppose to be the best since 2005. They are expected to make a NCAA Tourney run and some expect them to get to the World Series. They have a ton of talent and should have the best defense in the SEC if not the country. Cody Hawn was drafted in a preseason mock draft at 31st overall. Brian Margado was the highest draft person (3rd round) last year to return to college.
“Our guys came out focused today & really set the tone for our season. I felt like we were ready to play but you never know till the game starts. This win gives our team some confidence. I thought we did everything well tonight: we hit well, we pitched well, & we played great defense.” – Head Baseball Coach Todd Raleigh
- Vols play today at 1:30 vs South Carolina at South Carolina
- Williams is expected to start at 4 today with Wayne at 5 JP at 3 Scotty at 2 and Bobby at 1
- Prince did not practice yesterday because of severe migraines
- Tatum did return to practice but no contact just yet could return by Wednesday at Florida
- Chism is playing Banged up with an injured Hip, Knee, Ankle, and then JP landed on his head in UGA game on saturday and its still sore.
- Chism is averaging 13.1 points per game, 7.1 rebounds per game, 39 blocks on the season, and has hit on 66 of 87 free throws so far this year. (Averaging double double in SEC play)
- TN Tourney chances right now are looking at the 4-6 seed range. IF we upset Kentucky look for that to go to 3-4 seed more then likely.
- Right now Yahoo sports has us as a 5 seed, their 12’s are Illinois, USF, UAB, and Cornell
- CBS has us as a 6 seed playing against UAB with the winner playing #3 Georgetown or #14 Oakland in Providence, RI with Sweet 16 taking place in St Louis against either Xavier, Maryland, Purdue, or UC Santa Barbara
- ESPN has us as a 5 seed playing 12 Marquette with winner playing 4 Gonzaga 13 Utah St in Spokane Washington. Sweet 16 in St Louis against Kansas, Robert Morris, UTEP, Maryland
I have no doubt the Vols should win today. However they could do what they did at USC West and not show up to play. They do not have an answer for Chism and Williams and as long as we can stop everyone but Downey we should be fine. Update after the game.
- An Ole Miss player collapsed during first day of Team workouts and died a few hours later. Bennie F Abram was a non scholarship athlete who joined the team in January as a Safety. Houston Nutt says that he was a fine young man and a hardworker. The coach and school administrators gave their condolences and thoughts and prayers to the family.
- Florida dismisses DT Gary Brown after he is charged with 2 counts of misdemeanor battery after hitting 2 women at a party. This is the 27th arrest under the reign of Urban Meyer
- Coach Meyer is not even taking a leave of absence after his health issue debate last month.
- Vol Historian Haywood Harris is recovering from stroke and is battling Pneumonia
- Spring Practice starts 03/18 and will have 2-3 practices per week until the Orange and White Game on 04/17
- Pro Timing day will be 03/17
- Coaching Clinic 04/08-10
- Berry was clocked at 4.31 40 yd dash training yesterday for the draft. His interviews and workouts have been so impressive that people are saying he is improving his draft stock and he is widely already considered to be a top 5 pick. Could top 2 be on the way?
- Hardesty’s stock is soaring and could be late 2nd or 3rd rounder
- Berry Hardesty Rogan and Williams have all been told they could be taken on the first day.
- Coaches are recruiting hard all over the South East, Virginia, Washington, and Texas this week
There is your news and notes for today. Article after the game and on USC probation and punishment which could be announced tonight coming up later this afternoon.